If you are preparing for the coming hunting season, there is much to consider, and safety should always be at the forefront of your preparations. There are many types of accident that can occur on a hunt, and with firearms being discharged, extra care must always be taken. If you are new to the hobby and are preparing to kit yourself out, here are a few safety pointers to bear in mind when out on a hunt.
- Be Familiar With Your Firearm – This is essential, as you should be comfortable with it whether in use or not. Get into the habit of checking that the safety is on and with regular cleaning, you will become more at home with the weapon. Obviously, one does not point a gun at anything other than the intended target, and always store the gun in its bag when not actually hunting.
- Wear Suitable Clothing – You might be thinking this has little to do with safety, yet what you wear will determine your ability to negotiate terrain. Wearing hiking or hunting boots will ensure that you always have a firm footing, which is especially important when firing a gun. If you are looking to purchase hunting clothing, visit Great British Outfitters for Harkila garments and many other essential accessories, all at affordable prices. The UK climate is very unpredictable, so make sure you have wet weather gear with you whenever out on a hunt, and with the right accessories, you will enjoy the experience a lot more.
- Be Aware Of Your Surroundings – You should always know where other people are at all times, and never take a shot at something unless you are certain there are no people within that area. It is very easy to be crawling through the forest and lose track of other hunters’ locations, so be vigilant.
- Protect Your Hearing – A shotgun blast is approximately 140 decibels, therefore, you should always wear ear defenders. They can be moulded to the shape of your ears, making for a tight fit that will prevent ear damage. Even if you are not partaking in the actual shooting, you will still be close to weapons that are fired, so it is advisable to wear adequate ear protection. There are informative articles you can find online that highlight the importance of wearing ear defenders when hunting.
- Have A Physical Check Up – Prior to the season commencing, it is a good idea to have a complete physical check-up, which would reveal any medical issues. You need to be in good shape to handle the physical stresses that come with hunting. In fact, you should do this on an annual basis, regardless of whether you hunt or not, but when hunting, you are carrying a loaded weapon, so it makes sense to have a medical all-clear.
By considering all of the above, your hunting season should be enjoyable and by eliminating risks, you are doing what you can to ensure a safe hunt for everyone. If you are looking for a quality outfitter, there are online companies that have everything you need, which saves you both time and money.